Sunday 13 May 2018

It's Nice That - “The grandmother of socially active art”: the generous work of Sister Corita Kent

https://www.itsnicethat.com/features/corita-kent-ray-smith-art-international-womens-day-080318


Inspiring article from It'sNiceThat about Sister Corita Kent, the grandmother of socially active art.

By using screen printing her work appeals to both the art world, graphic designers and literary fanatics in its use of text, re-contextualising snippets of popular culture such as “wonder bread” or lyrics like “I get by with a little help from my friends”. Her DIY approach to design inspiring and reflects the resurgence of craft within contemporary design.

I have highlighted colour theory as a weakness in my practice, however I can refer to Corita's expressive and vibrant colour palette to inspire.

Sister Corita inspired people to be creative





No comments:

Post a Comment