Friday 4 May 2018

OUGD602 - Task 1 - GET IN CONTACT

Identify a studio/designer that I would like to work / collaborate with and create a physical outcome to send to them within 1 week. The purpose of this is to introduce myself, show my interest in there work and set myself up for further contact. I aim to reflect my style and method of practice whilst also showing my awareness of the studios ethos and practice. This is an opportunity for me to introduce new approaches that could benefit the studio.

Trapped in Suburbia
Based in the Netherlands, trapped in Suburbia are experts in book, exhibition and identity design with a unique approach to interaction. Their designs encourage involvement, either to start them or complete them. With involvement comes better understanding, something heartfelt and something special but most importantly something memorable. It is this that transforms graphic design into an experience.

I believe Trapped in Suburbia's interactive approach to design encourages innovation and experimentation which is an exciting way to design. I am passionate about material processes, interaction and aesthetics so I can learn a lot from the success of the studio. My practice can lack a sense of objectivity which makes them lack purpose therefore I admire Trapped in Suburbia's practice as it is pure design from concept to outcome. 

entrepreneurial.

'Our designs are open. Some only come alive through your use. Some need be started, others need to be completed. Involving you results in something far more tangible. Ideas become physical. Abstract becomes concrete.'

A book to oven bake



TiS created a publication 'Talking Ceramics' to discuss the topic of mistakes with several past artists-in-residence from the European Centre of Ceramics’ (EKWC) . Playing with the subject, the book’s layout emphasises fragility, splitting content over pages and positioning it precariously close to the edges. Tis identified that the kiln was one of the important elements to the ceramics process therefore they used thermo-ink so that once the book is baked, the content can be seen. This allows the user to experience the excitement, anxiety and surprise of firing ceramics.

'Decoding Design' - Graphic Design Festival Breda 2011

'In essence the design process is about making choices. Sometimes though, after putting in a lot of work, you decide to change a design and then come to the conclusion that the initial design worked better. This poster captures that feeling.'

Initially, the poster shows a large silver square of scratch-off ink. Prompting people to scratch the ink, text appears from the edges of the square. After taking time to scratch off all the ink the poster reveals: “I think I like it better with the silver square.”



What I need to say:

Name
Instagram
Mobile
Email

As I only have a short period of time to get the letter sent, I aim to keep the design simple but encourage interaction/emotion. Reflecting from my experience contacting D. Kuhne, sending a physical outcome instigates a response and discussion.

Concept 1:

Using the concept of radar to encourage a response
Communicating back and forth
Radio waves
Analogue

Concept 2:

Using humour to engage and show that I have a sense of humour

Humorous
Light hearted
Shock factor
Original

Sketched out some potential concepts that the user can interact with using their finger:




Peach is friendly 
Exciting
Looks like a bum

Printed a coloured image of the peach onto pink and orange stock so that the contrast between skin and stock wouldn't be as harsh. 


The intention is for the user to fill in the peach using their finger. 

Scan:


Tried a variety of sizes for the hole to resemble a cartoonish worm hole.



Drew out other possible ideas including:

Male and female - The studio was founded by two designers (male and female) therefore I developed the sketches using male and female figures:




Take these into monoprint
Studio emphasises print on print

Monoprint

In order to communicate tactility, I intend to monoprint the illustrations in order to communicate tactility. Traditional print is at the forefront of my practice therefore it would be appropriate to show off these skills.

Prepared images for monoprint using stock images because I aim to manipulate them through the printing process.

Card print


Card prints:




Content

Contact details to encourage a response:

James Green
Mobile number
Email
Instagram

Classic English saying to accompany the illustration and add more humour. 
I aim to avoid offending and or confusing the studio:

“Sweet Fanny Adams”
Meaning: Nothing, such as when being asked what you did for the day or what you’re currently doing.

“We’re having a right old knees up,”
Meaning: To go out for the night to have a good time. To party.

“It’s parky out”
It's cold outside

"Hark at me"
Meaning: Used for showing that you are surprised, impressed, or offended by something that someone has just said.

Decided to use 'hark at me' as the title as it compliments the humour of bums being a shock factor.


A5 print/postcard:

Made the outcome A5 format so that the users finger fills the space.
Friendly
Doesn't take itself too seriously

Disjointed typography to make it vernacular:



Pictogram

Although TiS' projects encourage exploration to discover the solution, I intend to make the message clear by offering an illustration of the position of the hand:



Used Gotham for the statement as its contemporary rounded form contrasts with the rough and rugged illustration and serif copy making it friendly.



Test Printing and Photocopy using coloured stock:
Increase engagement and visibility 




Reverse:

Provided a definition of 'Hark at Me?!' as the studio is from the Netherland's therefore they will gain a better understanding of my concept. 



As the front is humorous and lighthearted I used this as a chance to voice my appreciation for their approach to design and how that has influenced my practice. I intentionally dropped in some subtle puns about design 'coming in all shapes and sizes' to relate back to the humour. 


Final Design:



Provided definition of 'hark at me?!' as the studio is from the Netherlands - Increase understanding
Expressed my appreciation for their way of practice and approach to design and highlighted my interest in experiential print.



Reflection
Need to get a website/portfolio together

Postage:

Sent three variations to the three studios based in the Netherlands. 



Presentation:









Reflection

Good exercise and pleased with the outcome
Getting my work out there
Need to get a website/portfolio together
Could send these along with any other printed matter as more self promotion. 
Small format made it cheap to post

Since, I have published the designs on Instagram and Twitter as a desperate effort to gain recognition, however I still haven't received a reply.

Haven't yet received a reply 
Reasons why? - 3 different locations - should have been more specific 
Send to more studios 





















No comments:

Post a Comment