Sunday 13 May 2018

The Whittington Press

Since 1971, The Whittington Press has been printing books by letterpress. It was started by John and Rosalind Randle from an early enthusiasm for Caslon Type, Albion Presses and hand made paper, and partly to escape the London publishing jobs on the weekend.

On the first Saturday/Sunday of every September they host an open day where the public is allowed to take a look around the studio, presses and browse a range of stalls from artists and printers all over the world.


Double Dagger - Managed to pick up a copy of the new release before it was put on for sale.
Spoke to them about the first issue, Dafi Kuhne
Pretty busy  

Met Nick from The Print Project
Prints double dagger
Spoke about my degree
Turns out he used to lecture on the course.
Let me print my own poster



Really inspiring to see the diversity of work being created through manual design processes
Spoke to a variety of creatives 




The handmade publications inspired me to imbed this into Extended Practice and I successfully created a publication using manual design and pagination methods. Working around digital designers has given me doubts about pursuing print concepts, however it was encouraging to find other creatives with the same passion for editorial design and traditional printing processes as I have.

Please see Univers and Agriculture projects on Extended practice blogs for further information.

Spoke to the head of fine art from Oxford at her wood type letterpress stall. She told me that if I can transfer the qualities of print into digital then I'd be a successful artist. I haven't considered my practice as art, however my research into graphic design and artists' books suggests the line between editorial design and art is yet to be defined.

Intend on going back next year with some business cards

No comments:

Post a Comment